Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Steampunk Wedding

Steampunk…  I'm hoping you know what it is…  Don't worry though, I didn't know what it was either.  That is, until my brother announced his Steampunk themed wedding.

Steampunk, noun- a genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology.

Sounds sort of cool, right?  It REALLY is and the elaborateness that became my brother's wedding really was amazing.  It took a village to get it all together; the blimp card box, faux gas lamp candelabras, steampunk cake pops, etc, etc.

The costumes were a whole other story...  You'd think people would be hesitant to dress up in this bizarre kind of dress, however, all but a handful of the 150 guests were dressed in their very own steampunk attire.  The couple and their closest relatives, myself included, commissioned a few Etsy shop owners to assist us in creating our dream outfits.

I used a wonderful woman from the shop CurvyWench (www.etsy.com/shop/curvywench).  In my mind I had hodgepodge of designs.  Lizzie listened to all of my random and crazy expectations and turned them into exactly what I had hoped for.  I had wanted an off the shoulder peasant blouse with buckle straps, a layered uneven skirt with buckles to raise the front, and the buckles attached to a waist cincher.  And this was the final result:

(photo by Sarah Myers Dengler)

I have over 80 messages between me and the designer.  Lizzie went through every detail with me down to added D rings for my skirt hoist.  She truly was fabulous and worked hard to make every thing (even financing) as seamless as possible.

The accessories took the outfit to a WHOLE other level.  I used a Christmas themed tin (the hat of a snowman) to make my hat.  I added ribbon, clips and veil.  Here's a closer look:


Lastly, maybe you caught a peek at this last picture above…  I made my own jewelry and it was BY FAR the most complicated piece I have made to date:


I was definitely inspired by the steampunk theme and another piece of jewelry I had found online.  It is one of my proudest jewelry pieces and I cannot find it in my heart to give it up. 

There was so much inspiration surrounding the wedding and it's theme.  The wedding was just as fun as it was to make all of these pieces.

P.S. I also made a pair of earrings and a ring to match for my sister's wedding in May of 2013.  Here's a peek: 


You can find a similar version in silver at my Etsy store: 

No comments:

Post a Comment